Tuesday, December 8, 2015

What recruiters are thinking when they find your social media

http://theamericangenius.com/lists/recruiters-social-profile/?utm_content=buffer729a2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This is an interesting article I ran across the other day about what job recruiters think about your social media account.  I guess never having worked in the corporate setting and only having hand jobs in the service industry where, as long as you could fill out the application, you were in and music industry jobs where you do very little calling and rely on word of mouth and your own abilities to find new work, clearly I am going to have to adjust concerning my online presence.  Things like alcohol use, marijuana use, and even political standpoints are all out in the open these days and one must consider the ramifications with their employer in concerns to what they post online.  But on the other side of the coin, all of the good things you do are highlighted as well.
I can understand the benefits for the company to discover more about the applicant's personal history and get a feel for what kind of person the applicant is but can see the pitfalls with kids now a days growing up and posting pictures of all the "partying" they are doing.  It can be very difficult and time consuming to remove some of the things that go up on social media.  I've decided to block off my Facebook profile to public access because that is my most personal social media and leave Twitter, Linkedin, and Google+ open as they are my professional accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment